st: RE: how to split numeric variable

From   "Daniel R Sabath" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: how to split numeric variable
Date   Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:30:27 -0700

Since you really are not using the state variable as a numeric, convert it
to a string.

	tostring geocode, generate(str_geocode)

Then use the string processing functions to get what you want. In this case
	gen state = substr(str_geocode,-2,2) /* -2 is 2 from the right side
for 2 characters */
	gen county = substr(str_geocode,-4,2)

The only problem you have is where the city code is less than 100.

This pads the string out to 7 characters if it only has 6.
	replace str_geocode = "0" + str_geocode if length(str_geocode) == 6
Then
	gen city = substr(str_geocode,1,3)

More information can be had by typing "help substr" which will bring up help
on all the string functions.

-dan