st: RE: converting to string

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: converting to string
Date   Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:29:29 +0100

Ban,R (pgt)

I'm having a bit of trouble with my reshape command because
not all the variables that are to be put together are of the
same type. Namely, say a1, a2, a3, which are to be reshaped
into a, are not all string.
In my case there's a lot of these occurences. So I want to know
if there's an easy way to make all the variables that I _know_
are supposed to be string, string.

I tried:
unab forcestring : *name
foreach i of local forcestring {
    gen str1 xx`i' = ""
    replace xx`i' = string(`i')
    drop `i'
    renpfix xx
}

this gives me an error, because i realize now that string(`i')
works only if  `i' is numeric. Now a forceful method would be to do
_cap replace_, but i was wondering if there's something more elegant.
Thanks so much.

-radu ban

-tostring- is now an official Stata command.
It leaves existing string variables untouched.

However, I am not clear whether it is really
the other way round and you should be applying
-destring-.

You decide; the syntax is (now) similar
and the help for both is at -whelp destring-
(or -help destring-).