st: combinations of while, if, by, and foreach commands

From   "Metcalfe, Paul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: combinations of while, if, by, and foreach commands
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:46:46 +0100

Dear statalist,
Using Stata 8.1 SE, I'm trying to put together a loop for what I imagine should be quite a straightforward task.

The relevant part of my data looks like the following:

id	cons	time
5001574		32
5001574		31
5001574	0.278548	30
5001574	0.271683	29
5001574	0.378903	28
5001574	0.291933	27
5001574	0.319807	26
5001574		25
5001574		24
5001574		23
5001574		22
5001574		21
5001574	0.348804	20
5001574	0.247645	19
5001574	0.306516	18
5001574	0.303717	17
5001574	0.310532	16

I have about 8000 different id values in the full dataset, observed for different stretches of time with different numbers of gaps in the cons variable in different places across the set of ids.

What I would like to do is drop the observations at the end of the time series where cons=., but keep the observations in the middle.  There are varying numbers of gaps in the cons time series for different ids, and I want to keep all of them except the observations at the end of the time series for each id. I've tried a number of different combinations of the while, if and foreach commands, but none of them has worked, so I hoped that someone on the list could help.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul