st: repeated observations, multiple responses or bad data entry?

From   "Irina McKeehan Campbell, Ph.D." <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: repeated observations, multiple responses or bad data entry?
Date   Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:31:56 -0400

: : Dear Statalisters,
: : Thanks for your help.
: : I have received a patient dataset from a "SQL Relational Table
datawarehouse"
of the following format:
: : ID    var1    var2    var3    var4QUESTION1    var5RESPONSE1
var6......
: : 1    x1        x2        x3            x4q1            x5r1
x6.....
: : 1    x1        x2        x3            x4q1            x5r2
x6....  everything is duplicated
                                                except Response 2 for
Question 1  (mtple response issue)
: : 1    x1        x2        x3            x4q1            x5r3
x6......everything the same

except Response 3 to Q1
: : 1    x1        x2        x3            x4q2            x5r1
x6.....everything the same

except Q2 & R2
: : 1    x1        x2        x3            x4q3            x5r1
x6.....everything the same

except Q3 & R3
: : .....
: : 2   x1        x2        x3            x4q1            x5r1
x6 ...
: : 2  x1         x2        x3            x4q2            x5r1
x6 ...
: : 2  x1         x2        x3            x4q2            x5r2
x6 ...
: : ....
: : I have read the multiple responses (Cox, drum) and repeated
: measures,  I have no unique ID for "each row" and so cannot reshape the
dataset, I need to
: : combine all the responses from all the questions to construct some
indices and need to
have all this info on in the format of an XY matrix with unique values.
Stata sees the data as
duplicates but I cannot drop the observation as the response variable is
unique....
How do I get into a matrix of unique values for each patient (even if the
rows become very
: : long)...There are 11,700 observations (rows)(responses to ~30
: : questions) for unique pt. N=242. So I need to collapse the dataset into
242 rows with X  columns.

Also, what is a SQL Relational Table datawarehouse (health industry) and
how can STATA read this format?
: : Irina
: :
: : Irina Campbell
: : Irina V. McKeehan Campbell, Ph.D., M.P.H.
: : Director of Clinical Development and Quality Care
: : Cogent Healthcare, Inc.
: : www.cogenthealthcare.com
: : tel/fax: (845) 358-6607
: : mobile:  (914) 844-6145