st: Re: Copy and paste

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Copy and paste
Date   Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:11:00 -0500

Elmer Villanueva ([email protected]) wrote
> With the newest update, any line of text is pasted into the Viewer's
> search bar (labelled "Command") instead of Stata's Command window. Only
> if the Viewer is closed does the text appear in the Command window.
> Anyone know a way around this?

There was a bug in Stata before this latest update that prevented
text from being pasted into the Viewer's edit field.  This was fixed
in this update.  The logic determining which window receives the pasted
text is checking to see whether the Viewer window is on top of the
Results window.  If the Results window is on top, the text will be
pasted into the Command window.  If the Viewer window is on top, the
text will be pasted into the Viewer's edit field.

This logic should also be checking to see if the Command window is
on top of the Viewer even if the Results window is not.  This will
be fixed in the next executable update, but I do not anticipate that
that another executable update will be out for a few weeks.  Until
it is out, just click on the Results window if you want future
Ctrl-V's to send text to the Command window, or click on the Viewer
window if you want text copied into the Viewer's edit field.

Michel Camus ([email protected]) wrote, after reading Elmer's post,
> I'll wait that this problem be corrected before updating.

I do NOT recommend waiting for this minor update to be made.  There
are many new features and fixes in the September 9 update which
Michel should install.  To paste in the Command window, Michel can
right-click in it and select "Paste", click in it and press
"Shift-Insert", or click in the Results window and press "Ctrl-V".
The only case in which text goes into the Viewer when Ctrl-V is
pressed is if the Viewer is open and is on top of the Results window.

--Alan
([email protected])