st: treatment effects with ordered dependent variable

From   Georgi Tsertsvadze <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: treatment effects with ordered dependent variable
Date   Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:55:19 +0200

Dear Statalist,

I'm trying to estimate the following treatment effects model:

Y=bX+aZ+u,

where Z is a treatment variable (0,1) and Y is an ordered variable
(1,2,3).

The "treatreg"-command don't take into account the ordered nature of Y.
So I tried a two stage estimation.
In the first stage I ran a probit regression on Z: Z=c*W+e and
calculated the inverse Mill's.
In the second stage I included these inverse Mill's in the original
regression on Y and ran an ordered probit: Y=bX+aZ+d*inverse Mill's+u1.

I suspect the the standard errors received that way are incorrect. Is
that right and is there any appropriate procedure in Stata?

Thanks a lot,

Georgi Tsertsvadze

University Hannover
Department of Economics