Re: st: 3sls, selection

From   Chris Rohlfs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], joe jacob <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: 3sls, selection
Date   Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:44:02 -0500 (CDT)

joe,

if you're going to use a heckman two-step, you should really spend some
time to derive a selection equation from a maximization problem -- using
heckman's 1979 econometrica paper as a starting point.

that said, my feeling from what you've written is that it would be very
hard to come up with a reasonable & intuitive selection model based on the
variables you described.

i'm not quite clear on what the question is that you're trying to answer,
but i gather it's something like: "if we entice a company to export more
-- by changing the prices/costs that it faces -- does this company also
choose to spend more on research ?"  and that the selection problem is: a
cost shock might entice more exporters to enter the market -- which we
could mistakenly observe as a decrease in export intensity.  is that
right?

the simplest way that i can think of to address this problem would be to
create an "exporter" dummy for whether exports exceed zero -- and then to
estimate 2sls with two right-hand endogenous variables -- both the
exporter dummy and export intensity.

alternatively, you could try re-weighting the data based on your x
variables -- i.e., split the sample into quantiles using your x variables
& estimate a sampling frequency (the rate at which you observe a non-zero
export intensity) within each bin -- and then weight your regressions
using the inverse of that frequency.  this would be similar to imputing
export intensity (based on your xes) for the non-exporters.

i'd say maybe try a couple different ways & hopefully there are some
robust relationships that aren't too sensitive to how you cut the data.
again, i wouldn't recommend the heckman procedure for this particular
problem but i think there are other ways you can try modeling the
selection.

chris