Re: CONFIRMED st: Color intensity: unintended behavior?

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: CONFIRMED st: Color intensity: unintended behavior?
Date   Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:46:26 -0500

Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]> reports that reducing the intensity
of a named color using the <name>*<#> syntax makes that intensity change
"stick" so that the named color is attenuated in all ensuing graphs.

> Now let's specify the color in the command.
>
> . graph bar mpg, bar(1, bcolor(navy))
> . graph bar mpg, bar(1, bcolor(navy*.5))
> . graph bar mpg, bar(1, bcolor(navy))
> . graph bar mpg
>
> The second command reduces the intensity but now we are stuck with
> it. One might think that multiplying the color by 2 would restore
> the original intensity but this is not the case.
>
> . graph bar mpg, bar(1, bcolor(*2))
> . graph bar mpg, bar(1, bcolor(navy))
>
> To reset the colors to their default it is necessary to exit and
> restart Stata. I assume that this behavior is not intended. Can
> other Stata users reproduce this? I use Stata 8.1 and Windows XP.

This was a known problem that was reported last week to Stata Technical
Services <[email protected]>.  The problem was fixed and that fix will be
available in an update scheduled for early next week.

In the interim, rather than shut Stata down, the colors can be reset by typing
either -discard-.

-- Vince