st: repeated measures at two time points

From   "Zekveld, Cornelia" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: repeated measures at two time points
Date   Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:12:23 +0100

Dear stata listers,

I hope someone can give me some pointers.  I have data on a few individuals
(n=12) and for each person I have two measurements.

The first was made at the last time of exposure (the calendar date differs
for each person)
The second was made on the same calendar date.

So the follow-up differs for each person, (mean (sd) follow-up 89 (108)
months).  So follow-up varies a lot.

I can graph these two-time points for all individuals: with the x-axis being
time since last(final) exposure and the actual measurement value on the
y-axis.
This produces a graph with 12 straight lines all starting at time 0 and
ending at different points.

Now my question is  - how can I summarise these 12 "lines".  I need to get
one curve/line.

I tried the ksm command, but since there are so few observations it is not
really a nice smoothed representation of the 12 individuals
(understandable!)

I want to now whether this is as good as it will get - or are there maybe
another way to do this?

Regards,
Cornelia

PS.  The longitudinal examples I've seen all are made one many individuals,
at more than 2 occasions and also all repeated measures were made at the
same time for all individuals.  None of which is true for my 12
observations!