st: re: Trouble with Win XP/Office CP

From   "Ian R. Dohoo" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: Trouble with Win XP/Office CP
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:27:31 -0300

Ben Jann wrote .....

> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:13:19 +0200
> From: "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
> Subject: st: Trouble with Win XP/Office XP
>
> The problem is as follows: Sometimes, Stata cannot be started up. To
> be precise, Stata actually starts up (i.e. wsestata.exe is listed
> under "Processes" in windows task manager and windows cannot be shut
> down before wsestata.exe is terminated manually) but no Stata windows
> appear (furthermore, stata cannot be run in batch mode). The only
> thing to do is to restart the computer (often several times) until
> Stata suddendly starts working properly again. The problem occures on
> both computers I'm using (Dell Dimension 8250; Dell Latitude D800).
> This isn't really surprising, however, since both computers have been
> set up by the same people (local tech support) and, except for some
> machine specific details, the systems are basically.......... etc

I have no insights to offer except that I have occasionally had
the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 8200.  At first I thought
the problem was related to running two monitors (laptop +
external), but on rare occasions it has happened just on the
laptop.  I don't use Office XP so that does not seem to be the
problem.  For me it only occurs about once every two months
so I have just rebooted and ignored the problem.

Cheers
Ian Dohoo

                        Ian R. Dohoo,
                 Professor - Epidemiology,
              Department of Health Management
                Atlantic Veterinary College
                    University of P.E.I.,
          Charlottetown, P.E.I.  C1A 4P3   CANADA
e.mail <[email protected]>
phone 902-566-0640
FAX 902-566-0823

"Once you have a start, the rest is inevitable"
Joey 'The Lips' Fagan - The Commitments