st: Re: Trouble with Win XP/Office XP

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
Subject   st: Re: Trouble with Win XP/Office XP
Date   Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:04:31 -0500

Ben Jann ([email protected]) wrote
> The problem is as follows: Sometimes, Stata cannot be started up.
> To be precise, Stata actually starts up (i.e. wsestata.exe is listed
> under "Processes" in windows task manager and windows cannot be shut
> down before wsestata.exe is terminated manually) but no Stata windows
> appear (furthermore, stata cannot be run in batch mode). The only thing
> to do is to restart the computer (often several times) until Stata
> suddendly starts working properly again. The problem occures on both
> computers I'm using (Dell Dimension 8250; Dell Latitude D800). This
> isn't really surprising, however, since both computers have been set
> up by the same people (local tech support) and, except for some
> machine specific details, the systems are basically identical.

We have seen a very small number of instances of similar behavior.
While we do not know the exact cause of it, it appears to be
related to some other program on the system somehow preventing
Stata from completing its startup routines.  If that other application
can be identified and killed, Stata will proceed to start up
normally.

Ben's case appears to be somewhat unique in that it happens to him
even upon a fresh boot of his computer.  However, it is possible (indeed,
probable) that some background processes are being launched by Windows
upon startup and that one of them is interfering with Stata.

We will put together a special executable in the coming week for
Ben which should be able to tell us more about what is going on in
his computer.  We will hopefully be able to find what on his computer
is causing the problem and will report the results to the list.

--Alan
([email protected])