Re: st: question about tables

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question about tables
Date   Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:50:39 +0930

gen int id =_n /* see help datatypes for your best choice of storage type */
reshape long Age, i(id) j(age_group, string) /* string option needed since age groups are "01" not "1" etc */
table Distr age_group, c(sum Age)

Footnote (or, since it is longer than the solution above, perhaps the solution is more of a Headnote):

Age is perhaps a poor choice of name for the stub of the variables, especially after the -reshape- to long form when only a single "Age" variable remains. The observations on this variable are frequencies, not ages. This is all just cosmetic - Stata doesn't care - but a human might. A good variable label for Age would help explain its meaning, but that's still a patch-over job. You could change the stub on all the AgeXX variables *before* reshaping (using, say, -renpfix- (see -help rename-)) or you could -rename- the single variable Age *after* reshaping and before the -table- command. Note that the renaming *after* the -reshape- will prevent an easy reversal to wide form, should you wish to do this. Anyway, ignoring that wrinkle, you might:

rename Age count
table Distr agegroup, c(sum count)

where, to my mind, "count" is closer to what the variable is about.

Phil