Re: st: average value among...(long)

From   Radu Ban <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: average value among...(long)
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:07:46 -0400 (EDT)

Immense thanks to Ernest, Nick, and Bill who took their time to answer my
query. In my post I forgot to mention that there are other types of flags,
"T" for trace ammounts, "M" for missing. Also each row is identified by a
weather station id and the type of meteorological element it represents
(rain, snow, temperature, wind, etc). And the accumulation flags apply
only to rain and snow.

Pondering over it last night I came up with a solution of my own, albeit a
bit forced. I'm pasting it below. Let me know, time permitting of course,
if you think it is correct. I tested it and it works. I tend to use it
because I understand it better.

*generating accumulation begining and end numeric flags;
forval i=1/31 {;
	gen accb`i' = 1 if flag`i' == "S";
	gen acce`i' = 1 if flag`i' == "A";
};

*ordering so that i can use the varlist abbreviation safely;
order accb* acce*;

*identifying all accumulations of type a_i_j, starting on day i ending on
day j;

forval j = 2/31 {;
	local k = `j' - 1;
	forval i = 1/`k' {;
		egen test = rmiss(accb`i'-accb`k');
		gen a_`i'_`j' = test == 0 & acce`j' == 1;
		qui sum a_`i'_`j';
		if r(max) == 0 {drop a_`i'_`j'};
		drop test;
	};
};

*have to drop accumulations that are included in each other (i.e. 2-4
included in 1-4);
forval k = 30(-1)1 {;
	local k2 = `k' - 2;
	local k1 = `k' - 1;
	forval j = 1/`k2' {;
		local j1 = `j' + 1;
		forval i = `j1'/`k1' {;
		noisily cap replace a_`i'_`k' = 0 if a_`j'_`k' == 1;
		};
	};
};

*dropping non-existing accumulations;
foreach var of varlist a_* {;
	qui sum `var';
	if r(max) == 0 {drop `var'};
};

*replacing with average value;
unab listacc: a_*;
foreach acc of local listacc {;
	local sep1 = index("`acc'","_");
	local rem = substr("`acc'",`sep1'+1,.);
	local sep2 = index("`rem'","_");
	local i = substr("`rem'",1,`sep2'-1);
	local j = substr("`rem'",`sep2'+1,.);
	egen dayavg = rmean(day`i'-day`j') if `acc' == 1;
	foreach var of varlist day`i'-day`j' {;
		replace `var' = dayavg  if `acc' == 1;
		};
	drop dayavg;