st: Query: Nested-logit

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Query: Nested-logit
Date   Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:20:51 +0200

Dear Stata listers,

I hope I get third-time lucky with posting this  query. A colleague of mine
is trying to run a nested logit on the following :

Level 2 - did you seek health care.... (Yes / No),  if yes,  Level 1 -  From
which type of provider  (Private / Public).

After rearranging the data set, she can obtain the following "nlogittree"
output

 nlogittree choices type
 tree structure specified for the nested logit model
         top --> bottom
         type       choices
 --------------------------
        type1        Public
                        Private
        type2       No Care

Following on to the nlogit model

.xi:nlogit chosen (choices = i.sex X2 X3) (type = i.sex X2 X3),  group(hhid)
 i.sex             _Isex_1-2           (naturally coded; _Isex_1 omitted)
 tree structure specified for the nested logit model
         top --> bottom
        type       choices
--------------------------
        type1        Public
                        Private
        type2       No Care
unbalanced data
 r(459);

 Could the "unbalanced data" error be borne out of the lack of alternatives
beyond "Seek Health Care == No Care", or is more to do with a data
restructuring/ management issue.

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions in advance.

 Amani