st: maximum memory size

From   "Wei Tan" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: maximum memory size
Date   Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:10:13 +0800

Hi there,

my problem is about maximum memory size stata can handle.

I tried to run the Nested logit command using stata.
my dataset consist of 15000 people and each with 77
choices. the dataset is about 200m. When I try to
run the program nlogit, it says that there is no room to add more variables due to width
You have the following alternatives:
1. Store existing variables more efficiently;
see help compress.
2. Drop some variables or observations; see help
drop. (Think of Stata's data area as the area of a
rectangle; Stata can trade off width and length.)
3. Increase the amount of memory allocated to
the data area using the set memory command; see help
memory.
r(902);

I compressed all the variable and set memory to 600m
which is the maximum that my OS would allow, it still
can't work.

What is the limit number of obs stata can handle?

I wonder if there is other ways of increasing memory
to make the program run.

thanks

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/