Re: st: Stata interface

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata interface
Date   Fri, 30 May 2003 09:31:52 -0500

WAS Re: st: Histograms (was: Multiple (overlaid) Histogram)

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Richard Goldstein wrote:
> For any graphic command that has an option such
> as bin (histogram), bwidth (lowess), width (kdensity),
> I would very much like to see dynamic graphics -- i.e.,
> a slider such that I can change

I'm undecided at present, but see dangers in this suggestion, the main one
being that Stata could (like other software) grow into a ragbag of
uncoordinated features with no philosophy.
I sincerely doubt this would happen given the identity of the Stata leadership, and what they've accomplished so far.

I hold to the advantages of a
command-based system for serious data analysis (as compared to "the
computer printed this number so it must be right"). Dynamic graphics are
like a random walk: you may find a pretty view, but does that make it
meaningful? If there is some objective measure to optimize, should that
not be built into the program? If not, it is a design decision.
DataDesk has an alternative philosophy, based on linking observations
between related dynamic graphics. A news report yesterday suggested that
playing computer games is beneficial - they help develop hand-eye
coordination, concentration and attention to detail. I think a similar
argument could be advanced for any occupation taken seriously:
bird-watching or stamp collecting. Certainly DataDesk can be used well
and can give insights during data analysis, but equally, I suspect, it can
be used as a surrogate for thinking. Fiddling with screen objects is the
modern equivalent of rearranging the pens on your desk when stuck for
inspiration.
These comments sounded grumpy so I thought I'd be grumpy too.

A well constructed GUI is useful; not all GUIs are well constructed. Somehow I don't think the equations "command line = serious analysis" while "GUI EDA = tinkering" make too much sense. This smacks of "Macs are toys while PCs are machines". If graphics were not important, we could avoid them. Avplots would not be considered important. Scatterplots would be deprecated. Live EDA simply enhances already useful procedures.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/