st: RE: Updates for "off-line" Stata users

From   "Moran, John (NWAHS)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Updates for "off-line" Stata users
Date   Wed, 21 May 2003 09:19:48 +0930

As a current "offline" user (and due to a local IT requirement, it may also
be permanent) may I echo the comments by Derek regarding these updates

john moran
E-mail: [email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek S. Brown [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 12:19 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Updates for "off-line" Stata users

I use Stata on a PC that cannot be connected to a network because it
contains confidential data.  As a result, I rely on the "off-line"
updates for users who do not have access to the Internet from *within
Stata*.  These updates are found at the following web page:
  http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata8.html

Question:  Why are the ADO file updates for "off-line" users not
refreshed as often as for the updates for "online" users who can update
directly from within Stata?

Currently, the page http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata8/ado/
shows the last ADO update (for "off-line" users) as 24 Apr 2003.  Yet for
the "online" users, if you perform an 'update query' within Stata, you
will find that the latest available update is 12 May 2003.  (I just did
this on another machine.)  And, there was also a 29 Apr 2003 update before
that!

I do not know if this same discrepancy exists for the executable files.

Any ideas?  Stata Corp., can you make the updates available to both types
of users at the same time?  I would greatly appreciate this.

Derek Brown