RE: st: adding lines to graph

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: adding lines to graph
Date   Tue, 20 May 2003 21:10:10 +0000

i was faced with this problem in the past. what i am suggesting to you is a 'cheat' method but nevertheless pragmatic and works. it is not 'stata'tiscally correct but at that time or even now i knew no better but here it is anyway. up to you whether you want to deploy it or not.

copy your graph and paste as metafile into either word or powerpoint and then drew a square object over the pertinent area of the graph. rt click on the object, choose format object, click transparent and choose 5% grey (or color of your liking). that's it.

hope this is helpful.

i know that in the past, mentioning the micros*** raise some antibody titres in this list. so my apology before hand. if anyone else knows how to do the shading in stata, do tell. even i would be interested to know too.

cheers,
bw

From: "Clara Soh" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: adding lines to graph
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:37:26 -0400

thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't even know where to start looking. I have another question, maybe you can oblige me with some more help. having successfully added the lines to my graph, I am now trying to shade only certain sections of the background. for example, not only did I want to include a line for sept 11, but I want to also shade the entire region of the graph from Feb 2001 to May 2003 to indicate that the economy is in recession. the only option for shading would shade the entire plot region, not just certain sections. or I cannot figure out how to constrain the plot area shading to only part of the graph.

thanks again
clara

>>> [email protected] 05/20/03 02:27PM >>>
At 11:36 20/05/03 -0400, Eldin Leighton
wrote:
>To find the actual integer that corresponds to 9/11/2001, enter the command:
>
>display mdy(9,11,2001)
>
>Now, I believe you will get a vertical line plotted on your graph if you
>include
>
>xline(15229)
>
>since 15229 is the "date" integer corresponding to the date 9/11/2001.
>
>Hope this helps.
>Eldin

A package that might also help is my own -datelist-, downloadable from SSC. Type -ssc desc datelist- to find out more. -datelist- returns a list of
dates in the return macro r(numlist), which the user may then use as a
-xlabel- option in a -graph- command.

For instance, if -date- is a date variable, and -y- is another variable
which varies with time, and the user wants an axis label at the first day of each month from 1 January 1999 to 1 Januart 2000, then s/he might type

datelist,fi(01/01/1999) la(01/01/2000) s2(mdy) unit(month)
graph y date,xlabel(`r(numlist)')

I hope this helps.

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try: