st: gllamm

From   "Wiji Arulampalam" <[email protected]>
To   "<"<[email protected]>
Subject   st: gllamm
Date   Tue, 20 May 2003 10:08:36 +0100

Dear Colleagues,
I am using gllamm to estimate a RE probit and saving the estimated residuals for further analysis. I understand this gives an estimate of the individual specific unobservable. Reading through the manual and also Harvey Goldstein's book, I worked out that the residual mean that is used in the calculation of the individual heterogeneity term is calculated as y(i,j)-(xb)ij. This is the value that gets multiplied by the shrinkage factor.
Could someone please tell me how this term is calculated when the dependent variable is discrete taking values of 0 or 1. I have just tried to check this manually with the towerl.dta data supplied with gllamm but it does not give me the same answer. So I guess they must be calculating using a different formula in the discrete case.
Many thanks for your help.
best
wiji

=================================