Re: st: [Fwd: Stata compared to SPSS for data management???]

From   "Yaojun" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: [Fwd: Stata compared to SPSS for data management???]
Date   Fri, 9 May 2003 19:42:53 +0100

Dear all,

In my experience, Stata is much more flexible and powere in terms of data
management.

1: For merging or adding (appending) data, both SPSS and Stata work
fine but Stata's _merge is very useful.
2: Stata works much better (gracefully) with hierarchical data structures.
3: Stata's egen, _n, _N, reshape, bysort, gsort etc are fantastic for many
purposes.

On the whole, I find Stata much better than SPSS in both data
management and statistical modelling. The only thing I have found useful in
SPSS but lacking in Stata is SPSS's loop structures which Stata's egen
functions do not fully cover.

This is my opinion but I may be wrong.

Best wishes

Yours Yaojun