st: [Fwd: Stata compared to SPSS for data management???]

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: [Fwd: Stata compared to SPSS for data management???]
Date   Fri, 09 May 2003 14:14:49 -0400

For anyone who is knowledgeable about SPSS -- just be
sure to reply to either the newsgroup or to the original
sender -- Rich

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Stata compared to SPSS for data management???
Date: 9 May 2003 10:03:31 -0700
From: [email protected] (Alan Acock)
Newsgroups: sci.stat.edu

We are considering switching from SPSS to Stata as our primary software
package for training graduate students. Can anybody tell me the
limitations/strengths of Stata for data management compared to SPSS. I'm
interested in merging many datasets and in constructing variables,
counts,
means, etc. SPSS' count command and mean.n command are very useful. Does
Stata have an equivalent?

Alan C. Acock
http://www.orst.edu/dept/hdfs/acock/

.