Re: st: A suggestion for multi-line commands

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: A suggestion for multi-line commands
Date   Wed, 7 May 2003 13:47:38 -0500

I don't mind this addition as long as the default return/enter is not messed with or the automatic wrapping is not changed. Then if I don't want it, I can ignore this feature. I would not mind the addition, because I have come to avoid the command line when entering long graph commands. Readability is an issue from the command line. But at that point, students are not using the GUI. And if they are not using the GUI, they are grown up enough to use doedit. I find using the doedit window with the key command for "do selected lines" a useful alternative to entering graph commands at the command line. Simply type in the command line "doedit", then in the do window "#delimit ;" or use the "///" line continuation indicator and format to your graph command to you desire, select the text and (is OS X) do shift-command-D. It's not anymore key sequences considering if you use the command line you have to click the command dialog to return the command. And entering graph commands in this way might be just the thing to get your students all the way over to .do files.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/