st: Help -- Having Difficulty Updating STATA Under Mac OS X

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Help -- Having Difficulty Updating STATA Under Mac OS X
Date   Sat, 03 May 2003 10:11:52 -0500

> On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:33  PM, statalist-digest wrote:
>
> > I hope that someone from this list can help me.  This issue is really
> > starting to get old for me.  I have just tried to update my exe file
> > but the system will not do it -- I keep getting an error message.
> The
> > usual drill is for me to erase the entire STATA file and to reinstall
> > the CD and then to do an update.  STATA Technical support has been of
> > little or no help on this issue.  I am currently running OS 10.2.5,
> > 80GB harddisk, and 1.2 GB of memory.  What can I do to get a smooth
> > updating of the exe file?
>
> I ran into this bug as well. In my case, there were two problems:
>      1. Stata downloaded a file with the wrong name (StataSE.1 in my
> case)
>      2. The file had the wrong permissions
>
> My solution;
>       1. Delete the old Stata / StataSE (drag app to trash)
>       2. Open up Terminal
>       3. Type chmod u+rwx /Applications/Stata/StataSE
> (there may be a non-UNIX geek method to do this using the "Get Info"
> command in the Finder and looking at the permissions tab. Basically,
> you want to give yourself  permission to use the Stata application)
>       4. Rename StataSE.1 to StataSE
>
> This was an annoying process caused by some bug in Stata or maybe
> putting the wrong file on StataCor

I had the same issue. Stata says unless you tried updated from 4/10 to
4/2* you will experience the bug. I had 4/3. Since I ended up deleting
both files, as I did not know about this permission trick, I had to
reinstall the original cd application. For some reason that updated
properly when booting from the application icon rather than the
stata.do icon. The only difference I can see is a different working
directory (stata vs stata.data). It could have also just been a fluke
and properly named the download on the 6th try. BUT NOW THAT WE ALL
HAVE THE RIGHT VERSION, WE SHOULD NOT SEE THIS BUG AGAIN!

-Dave