Re: st: estimates commands in Stata 8

From   "Brian P. Poi" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: estimates commands in Stata 8
Date   Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:09:03 -0500 (CDT)

> Zhehui Luo <[email protected]> says:
>
> > I did the following:
> > reg y a
> > est store a
> > reg y b
> > est store b
> > est table a b
> > est clear
> > *so far there is no problem
> >
> > *then I did the following
> > reg y1 c
> > est store c
> > reg y1 d
> > est store d
> > est table c d
> > *now Stata returns with an error message
> > invalid syntax
> > r(198);
> > *I don't know why this is happening

And Ken <[email protected]> replied:

> I just took the auto data and renamed some of the variables to y,
> y1, a, b, c, and d, and then followed the steps you mentioned.
> Everything worked fine -- there was no error produced.
>
> First check that you have updated to the latest update (though I
> don't think that this should matter in this case).  If you can
> then reproduce the problem, please send, if possible, your
> dataset and log file that demonstrates the problem to
> [email protected].  If that does not resolve the problem,
> then email me and I will look further into it for you.
>
> Ken Higbee    [email protected]
> StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC

After looking at Zhehui's dofile, I have been able to replicate the
error message he received.  The actual regressions that Zhehui was
running had about 85 variables each.

Ken and I have discovered that the problem occurs whenever the models
contain a large number of variables and you try to display two or more
sets of estimation results at once.  The number of variables that provokes
the problem depends in part on the lengths of the variable names.

We will fix this in an upcoming adofile or executable update.

Brian Poi    [email protected]
StataCorp    1-800-STATAPC