st: Re: Calculating distance

Subject   st: Re: Calculating distance
Date   Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:39:01 -0400

I have an old ado (nearest6.ado) to solve this problem.  It assumes that you
have latitudes and longitudes and calculates the distance on the globe (not
euclidian) in miles.  It is version 6 and seems to run fine in ver 8.  I
can't vouch for it completely, but I think it works.  The syntax for your
problem would be (all on one line):

nearest6  xp yp using stata_qrad_140403, idvar(radpc) latref(rdx)
lonref(rdy) genid(radid)
gendist(dist2rad)

You would issue this command after you use stata_qp_140403.  It will create
radid which is radpc from the lookup file, and dist2rad which is the
distance in miles to the radpc closest.

Anyway, here it is (hoping line wrapping isn't too bad and you can get by
without a help file):

* cut here and name nearest6.ado****
program define nearest6
version 6.0
*! version 2.0.1 M Blasnik 10/11/99
* finds geo nearest neighbor in using file for
* each obs in current file
syntax varlist (min=2 max=2) using [if] [in] , IDvar(str) /*
*/ [LATref(str) LONref(str) GENID(str) GENDist(str)]
tokenize `varlist'
local latv `1'
local lonv `2'

* degrees to radians
scalar d2r=_pi/180
quietly {
if "`gendist'"!="" {
 conf new var `gendist'
 gen `gendist'=.
 }
if "`genid'"!="" {confirm new var `genid'}
tempvar dist touse order grpcnt
gen `dist'=.
tempfile work
marksample touse
local obs=_N
local near=`obs'+1
count if `touse'
local start=`obs'-r(N)+1
sort `touse' `latv' `lonv'
by `touse' `latv' `lonv': gen long `grpcnt'=_N if `touse'
gen long `order'=_n
preserve
use `idvar' `latref' `lonref' `using', replace
if "`latref'"!="" {
 rename `latref' `latv'
}
if "`lonref'"!="" {
rename `lonref' `lonv'
}
save `work'
restore
append using `work'
sort `order'
local i=`start'
while `i'<=`obs' {
 local j=`i'+`grpcnt'[`i']-1
 local lat=`latv'[`i']
 local lon=`lonv'[`i']
 replace `dist'=acos(sin(`lat'*d2r)*sin(`latv'*d2r)+/*
 */ cos(`latv'*d2r)*cos(`lat'*d2r)*cos(/*
 */ abs(`lon'-`lonv')*d2r))
 replace `dist'=abs(`dist'*3958.754)
 sort `order' `dist'
 replace `idvar'=`idvar'[`near'] in `i'/`j'
 if "`gendist'"!="" {
  replace `gendist'=`dist'[`near'] in `i'/`j'
 }
 local i=`j'+1
}
drop if `touse'==. | `order'==.
if "`genid'"!="" {
 rename `idvar' `genid'
}
}
end
**end of ado file

If line wrapping proves difficult, email me directly and I will send it as
an attachment

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]