Re: st: RE: memory limitation

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: memory limitation
Date   Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:52:17 +0000

deja vu,

i think this is a re-post too or re-posted by accident. i distinctly recalled that one of the stata guys actually replied to this post and had asked hugh to email to him privately regarding hugh's requirement (i.e. the need for gigabytes memory stata).

cheers,
bw

From: Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: RE: memory limitation
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:25:30 -0500

I think this is a re-post. I don't recall anyone replying to it the first
time. I didn't reply because I don't know the first thing about computer
architecture. However, I have a geophysicist friend who ran into both
processing speed and memory limitations during his PhD dissertation
analysis. His solution was to create a "cluster" of machines, each with a
couple of GBs of memory. However, I believe that this is non-trivial. He had
to write a program that would divide up his calculation among the clustered
machines, collect the individual results, and put them back together.
Fortunately, with all of the distributed computing and cluster projects on
the internet, there are probably quite a few examples that you could draw
from - if you have the required programming expertise.

Also, he worked on the Linux platform, not Windows.

Good luck,
Lee Sieswerda