st: RE: Deleting variables for lack of observations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Deleting variables for lack of observations
Date   Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:57:59 -0000

Joel Clovis

> I want to delete variables if they do not contain enough
> observatoins.  I've
> tried to make use of Nick Coxs'  npresent & dropmiss (STB-49:dm67 &
> STB-60: dm89)  to no avail, some attempts are in the
> following manner:
>
> foreach var of varlist cba2tfina-region {
>             keep `var' if r(npresent)>=30
>     }
>
> this brings up invalid syntax, and I'm not sure why and
>
> keep if npresent(lifeinsdensity )<30
>
> results in 0 observations being deleted, even though
> npresent(lifeinsdensity ) without keep..returns  lifeinsdensity  10
>
> Can anyone help?  I'm a Stata 7 user

1. Use of -npresent-
====================

-npresent- is not a function, so -npresent()- is not
legal within a command as in your example with -keep-.

. npresent (lifeinsdensity)

does work, but this is a gift from Stata's varlist
syntax, and nothing to do with functions.

-npresent- does leave behind r(N), but not r(npresent).
This is a side-effect of its use of -count-.

-npresent- is really a function to display information.
I wouldn't use it this way.

2. How to -drop- according to your criterion

I'd do it this way:

. foreach v of var cba2tfina-region {
.  	qui count if !missing(`v')
.	if r(N) < 30 {
.		drop `v'
.	}
. }

You need to be straight on the difference between (say)

if r(N) < 30 {
	drop `v'
}

and

drop `v' if r(N) < 30

As it happens, the second is not legal syntax,
but the difference in general is important:
see http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/ifqualifier.html

3. -dropmiss-

As far as I can see, -dropmiss- offers nothing
for this problem over the first principles approach.