st: Re: word processor is not a text editor

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: word processor is not a text editor
Date   Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:50:04 -0500

--On Friday, February 21, 2003 2:33 -0500 Alan wrote:

The best advice, as given by others, is not to use a word
processor as a text editor.  If one is used, however, then
such features as "smart quotes" should be turned off, and
extra care must be taken to save the file in a plain ASCII
format.
Agree strongly with the first line, and posters who remind us of this.
Note that with recent versions of Word, even getting a straight ASCII file is sometimes difficult--Word likes to save in UTF-8 (a special form of Unicode), and the initial bytemark will choke any program that does not expect to see Unicode coming in. My preferred text editor (BBEdit, www.barebones.com) can certainly save as Unicode, and UTF-8, and probably EBCDIC for all I know; but when you ask it to save a file, it assumes ASCII, and that's what Stata wants to see.

Kit
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/