st: Re: colors

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: colors
Date   Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:44:57 -0500

--On Friday, February 21, 2003 2:33 -0500 Vince wrote:

First, and this may be obvious, is that the colors in graphics are not
limited to the named colors -- that is to say limited to those colors
returned by - -graph query colorstyle-.  Anywhere a named color is
allowed, we can also use an RGB triplet.  For example the two commands,

      . scatter mpg weight , mcolor(blue)

and

      . scatter mpg weight , mcolor("0 0 255")

produce graphs that look the same -- both have blue symbols.  What's
more, we could have used any RGB triplet in place of "0 0 255" and in
that way requested any of the 16,777,216 colors in the RGB palette.
This is cool, but if you ever are thinking of including your Stata graphs in materials that are to be displayed on the Web, I would urge sticking to 'web-safe colors'. E.g. http://www.lynda.com/hex.html
Sticking with RGB combinations that are on the web-safe list will minimize the hassle caused by graphics showing up very differently in different browsers.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/