Re: st: OS X new update problem

From   [email protected] (Kevin Turner)
To   "Stata Listserve" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: OS X new update problem
Date   Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:56:35 -0600

David Airey and Bill Rising both comment on -update swap- failures under
Mac OS X.

This problem is witnessed on a small percentage of Mac computers and the
general symptom is that a rename of Stata.1 to Stata.bin fails during the
-update swap- command. The current theory is that Mac OS X is not updating
the status of these files fast enough (there is bit of lag in the OS
when reflecting file changes that can be witnessed apart from Stata). The
reasons for believing this are due to the fact that it occurs on a small
number of machines and that it is not always consistent on these machines.

While a fix should be relatively easy, we are currently in the process of
finding testers that can isolate the issue. Once we are convinced of a
solution it will promptly be released as an update. As of this post, David
and Bill have both been contacted to possibly provide help.

In the meantime, if you experience an -update swap- failure under Mac OS X, and
witness a StataX.1 file leftover in your Stata directory, simply rename the
Stata.1 to Stata.bin ('Stata' in this case could be 'smStata' or 'StataSE'
depending on flavor). Open the existing Stata, and type -update
swap- to complete the update. An alternate solution is to remove your current
Stata executable, and simply drop the '.1' from the name of the downloaded
Stata. -update swap- should not be run if following this second solution.

If any are witnessing this issue and are willing to run a diagnostic version
of Stata, feel free to contact me via email: [email protected]

--Kevin