st kdensity

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st kdensity
Date   Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:57:16 PM US/Central

Thanks, but no, Jeff, I did not type version 7 at any point. In the space of two commands, output went to gr7 and the new graphics window. Please try it for yourself on a machine running OS X and the latest Stata 8/SE. My other question still stands as well.

Here again:

. version
version 8

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

.kdensity length <-- goes to gr7 output

. tw kdensity length <-- goes to new graphics output

Finally, verinst indicates no problems, and I've updated to the latest version.

-Dave

Earlier I said,

> I'm a little confused about kdensity and tw kdensity in Stata 8. I
> understand that tw kdensity uses kdensity, but all the same, for some
> reason, kdensity does not use Stata's new graphics, and outputs in gr7
> format. The normal and student options are for kdensity, which leaves
> them in gr7 format too. Is this intended?
>
> Also, for me, kdensity with the student(#) option does not work
> although the normal option does, unless my df is somehow out of range?
>
> . sysuse auto
> (1978 Automobile Data)
>
> . kdensity length
>
> . tw kdensity length
>
> . sum length
>
> Variable | Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max
> -------------+--------------------------------------------------------
> length | 74 187.9324 22.26634 142 233
>
> . kdensity length, normal
>
> . kdensity length, student(74)
> option student() not allowed
> r(198);
>
> (...)

And Jeff said,

I'll address David's comment/question about -kdensity-.

David's example strongly suggests that something like

. version 7

was typed interactively in his Stata 8 session. This can be quickly verified
by typing

. version

interactively. The output from entering the -version- command without
arguments is the version (control) that Stata is currently operating under.