st: Version 8: 3-D graphics?

From   "Hoetker, Glenn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Version 8: 3-D graphics?
Date   Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:58:33 -0600

First, let me say that the new graphics capabilities are stunning.
Slow, but stunning.  Thank you to everyone who contributed to them!

I had hoped that the improvements might include decent tools for
graphing 3D surfaces.  Nothing fancy, just being able to show how Y
varies over combinations of X1 and X2.  There are a few user-contributed
ado files, but nothing that easily produces publication-quality graphics
(certainly not at the level that version 8 does for other types of
graphics.)

Is this something that the new graphics capabilities would make easy to
develop (either by Stata or a user)?  Or, am I going to have to deepen
my acquaintance with GnuPlot (which is a great tool and only moderately
user-hostile-I just prefer to limit the number of tools I have to use
for a project).

Hoping someone can contribute some insights.  Thank you.

G.

Glenn Hoetker
Assistant Professor of Strategy
College of Business Administration
217-265-4081
[email protected]
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm."
Sir Winston Churchill