Re: st: Meta analysis of diagnostic test?

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Meta analysis of diagnostic test?
Date   Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:35:54 -0000

Deeks, J.W. (2001) 'Systematic reviews of evaluations of diagnostic and screening tests', in Egger, Davey Smith & Altman (eds) 'Systematic reviews in health care : Meta-analysis in context' (BMJ, London)

- and references therein (refs 4-7 look a good place to start - if you can't get access to this book let me know and I'll send you the citations).

I don't know of any specific programs, Stata or otherwise. The type of summary ROC curves used in Figs 14.3-14.5 of the above reference require the ability to plot symbols (e.g. squares) of size specified by a variable - this doesn't appear to be something you can do with -graph-, only with by getting down to -gph- level (someone please correct me if i'm wrong). The book has a chapter about meta-analysis in Stata but whether Jonathan Deeks used Stata for the analysis or graphs in this chapter I've no idea - personally I'd be quite tempted to use S-plus/R for graphs of this sort.

Hope this is of some help,

Roger.
Roger Harbord mailto:[email protected]
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol