st: RE: Mixed effects or GEE?

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SD) (NASA)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Mixed effects or GEE?
Date   Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:57:37 -0600

Mike - You should also consider the effect of time - i.e. as time goes on,
the effect of the intervention might wane. Suppose you have a logistic
regression model something like

logit p(prescribe antibiotics)=f(time,intervention) + e

In GEE, (with an equicorrelated assumption), you are only assuming equal
correlation of e within dentists - no other distributional assumptions on e.
With xtlogit, e is split into two random effects,  between and within
dentists, with each effect normally distributed and independent. So the
equicorrelation arises because the between-dentist random effect is the same
for all observations pertaining to that dentist.

As in most statistical modelling problems, the more sophisticated model
(xtlogit), if correct,  gives greater power. However there is a risk of bias
if the model is not correct. GEE makes fewer assumptions, so there is less
risk of bias, but it would in general be less powerful.

Also, in GEE you have the option of specifying other types of correlation
within dentists - see manual.

Hope this helps-

Al Feiveson