RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit

From   "David Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:57:34 -0700

First, the answer to your original question, as far as I'm aware, is no.  It
would be nice if Stata had many more sample selection models available, but
alas only the standard Heckman and the basic bivariate probit with sample
selection have been coded.  (I'm actually trying to modify heckprob to
handle an ordered probit as the regression outcome, but working out the ml
portion of the code is a bit of a struggle.)

Second, I don't think we can judge whether you have a correctly specified
model from your description, so it seems fair to assume that you have it
right.  Something worth answering, however, is whether or not the error
terms in the two probits are actually correlated.  If not, then you've got
two independent selection equations rather than a bivariate probit.  In any
case, you could try to estimate the model in a manner analogous to a classic
Heckman model where the truncated bivariate normal distribution is used to
estimate the hazard term included in the second stage.  The standard errors
would also have to be corrected, of course.

Note that LIMDEP can estimate this model.