Re: st: constraint for mlogit

From   Thomas Gschwend <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: constraint for mlogit
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:28:18 +0200

I am not quite sure if I understand your problem correctly. As I understand your question there are esssentially two possibilities:

a) you wanna constrain income for some but not all choices
follow the examples on page 370ff of the manual

b) you wanna constrain income for all choices
This does not make sense. If a variable does not vary, why do you have it in the model anyway? Simply put, there is nothing to estimate.
Thomas

I hope I won't bore all of you with my constraint questions and instead I hope my questions might help to inspire more research using this technique. Anyway, I have read the help file for mlogit but it didn't offer template for constraint of a single estimate in mlogit estimations. Can anyone offer any suggestions, let's say hypothetically my dependent variable is: Transport (1) bus (2) car and (3) train
and my independent variables are age, income, distance to work and gender. What contraint command shall I use if I were to constraint only income variable in this case? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Hannah