st: RE: outfile-ing multiple lines

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: outfile-ing multiple lines
Date   Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:45:34 +0100

E. Michael Foster

>   I need to write out multiple (three) lines of information
> for a single
> record.  Some of the same variables would be repeated
> across the lines of
> raw data.  (In case you're interested, I'm creating a file
> with multiple
> data structures for aML.)
>
>    Basically I need a file that looks like this:
> 	  id  counter  y1 x1 x2
>           id  counter  y2 x1 x3
>           id  counter  y3 x1 x4
> where counter identifies the different record types.
> Currently, the data
> are in stata with one record per id.  X2, X3, X4 may not
> have the same
> dimension.
>
>  One option would be to create multiple raw data files and
> to manually
> concatenate them.  I'm doing this now, but it's a bit of a
> nuisance.
>
>   Is there a way to do this with -outfile-?

Write your own program with -file-, or try

. preserve
. expand 3
. bysort id counter : replace y1 = y2[1]
. by id counter : replace y1 = y3[1]
. by id counter : replace x2 = x3[1]
. by id counter : replace x2 = x4[1]
. outfile id counter y1 x1 x2 ...