Re: st: newbie if {} else {} question

From   Bill Rising <[email protected]>
To   "Stata Listserve" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: newbie if {} else {} question
Date   Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:52:47 -0400

On 9/19/02 15:26, Richard Herrell wrote

>I've just started learning Stata syntax after long years of SAS use and am
>completely stumped by a result.  I want to create a new 4-level variable
>(ascertgp) based on the crosstabulation of 2 dichotomous variables (probip
>and promig).  This is the syntax I wrote:
>
>if      probip==1 & promig==1 {
>  gen ascertgp=1
>}
>else if probip==0 & promig==1 {
>  gen ascertgp=2
>}
>else if probip==1 & promig==0 {
>  gen ascertgp=3
>}
>else if probip==0 & promig==0 {
>  gen ascertgp=4
>}

This construction would work better as
if xxx {
 blah blah
 }
else {
 if yyy {
  yada yada
  }
 }

A better way around this would be to try
 gen ascertgp = 4 - promig*2 - probip

There is a built-in Stata command for creating the categories, but it
escapes me at the moment.

Bill