st: xtpcse vs xtreg

From   Buzz Burhans <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtpcse vs xtreg
Date   Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:06:51 -0400

Could someone explain to me when it might be appropriate to use xtpcse versus xtreg, and what the essential difference in meaning is? I have biological cross sectional panel data, with 21 panels and 21 time points; running it through xtpcse, xtreg, and gllamm gives similar results for the coefficients, but the xtpcse errors are very much smaller (xtpcse with corr(psar1) and pairwise options), and imply significance where neither xtreg nor gllamm do.

In the animal science literature data of this type is now commonly analyzed using multi level mixed model software like SAS Proc Mixed or S-Plus LME; however I'd like to use Stata, which has more limited capability for handling the multilevel models.

Thanks

Buzz Burhans

*
* For searches and help try: