Re: st: syntax; option real & varname

Subject   Re: st: syntax; option real & varname
Date   Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:36:36 -0400

Here's a neat alternative approach for getting two types of behavior from
the same option:

syntax  [, X1a(real 0) X1b(varname numeric)]

The help file can just list the option name as x1, but Stata allows option
names to have the same abbreviation (as long as the full option name
differs) and then Stata will figure out how to parse it... sort of.  In the
example case, if the user entered the option as -x1(mpg)- then x1a would be
set to 0 and x1b would be mpg.  If they entered x1(12) then x1a would be 12
and x1b would be empty.  The follow up code could check to see if x1b is
empty -- if not then they entered the varname, otherwise use the contents of
x1a...

Michael Blasnik