Re: st: Detecting Duplicate Records

From   Devra Golbe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Detecting Duplicate Records
Date   Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:39:32 -0400

Your program may well work.  An easier solution can be found by typing

-findit dups-

At 02:22 PM 8/14/02, you wrote:
Dear Stata-users,

I have a household roster data file which consists of about 20 variables measured on household members. I have my doubts that the persons_id within a household is not unique. Is there a way I can "mass-check" all 20 variables between members of the same households to determine duplicate records. I thought of the following:

sort hhid persons_id

for var V1-V20: gen DX=X[_n]==X[_n-1]

quietly by hhid: egen DSUM=rsum( DV1. .... DV20)

quietly by hhid: drop if DSUM[n]==20

Does that make sense!

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance...

Amani

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/