st: Guidance on predict in longitudinal data analyses

From   Anthony Staines <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Guidance on predict in longitudinal data analyses
Date   Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:14:30 +0100

Hi,
I have two questions - one is a Stata question, the second is a more general statistical question.

I am working on a clinical trial of exercise in pregnancy, where a mjor interest is in describing the temporal changes in physiological variable measured during and after pregnancy.

I want to summarise the results of some models by presenting the modelled values of physiological variables at 6 weeks and 36 weks of gestation like this :-
pontoon
Variable 6 weeks 36 weeks
PEFR 500 450
V0 2.3 1.9
GET 0.75 0.4
etc.. (The numbers are invented).

Stata question
How can I use 'predict' to generate values (and confidence intervals) for model predictions at specifc values of the time variable?
I don't want to generate a datset with the mean values of the predictor variables at every timepoint, unless I have to.

More general question.
For these particular data random variable models didn't fit any better than simpler models - but it made me think, and I have no idea what a 'prediction' for a random variables model means - does it include some estimate of the 'mean' values of the random variable? Any guidance?

Best wishes,
Anthony Staines
--
Anthony Staines, Lecturer in Epidemiology, Department of Public Health,
UCD, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin2, Ireland. http://phm.ucd.ie/

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/