Re: st:. : [problem with outliers in regression]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st:. : [problem with outliers in regression]
Date   Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:08:36 +0100

Nazaria Solferino asked, in reply to my earlier posting,

Could you give me some suggestions about transformation?

>>> One source of principles and prejudices on transformation
is obtained by typing in Stata

. view http://www.stata.com/users/njc/topichlp/transint.hlp

If you want a copy for yourself, just use Stata's
-copy- command.

I see that document was last revised in 1999. These
days I am more inclined to point to generali{s|z}ed
linear models as a deeper solution. There is
a very good pedagogic paper

Lane, P.W. 2002. Generalized linear models
in soil science. European Journal of Soil
Science 53, 241-251

which focuses on the merits of transformation
as compared with generalized linear models.
I owe this reference to Stata user Allan Reese.

You may be able to access it electronically.
Don't be put off by the mention of soil science;
you don't need to understand anything much about
soil science. The examples are, as it were,
just like the auto data.