st: Merging problem

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Merging problem
Date   Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:43:48 +0300

Dear statalister

I have 2 files one containing information at household level and another one at individual level. I would like to have each individual to in a household have a value of an index which is at household level. When merged two files on perm_id, here is what I get. Some individual are missing the value of the index. When I do it on family_id, it gives me un-anticipated results. What is the trick here?

family_id perm_id index
1. BUA000001 BUA000001002 .
2. BUA000001 BUA000001003 .
3. BUA000001 BUA000001004 .