st: survey data: how does one generate category, scale, score counts?

From   Carsten Baumann <[email protected]>
Subject   st: survey data: how does one generate category, scale, score counts?
Date   Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:57:27 -0600

Dear All,

I am trying to summarize results from a survey with about 28,000
participants.  What I am trying to do seems simple, however, I need help.
 A former colleague of mine used to do similar work in SPSS using the
AGGREGATE command and then OUTFILE with a BREAK by (sub)categories.  Any
tips on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

I am working with student survey results with the following variables:

WTSKUL (value 0 to 2)
BUILDING (value 20 to 8000)
GRADE (value 6 to 12)
SEX (value 1 to 2)
ETHNICITY (value 101 to 109
SCALE1
SCALE2
SCALE110

The scales have values (or SCORES) from 0 to 8

What I need is to generate a long file with a COUNT by BUILDING by CATEGORY
(Grade, Sex, or Ethnicity) by SCORE for each SCALE.  That is, how many
FEMALES (CATEGORY 1) in BUILDING == 20 received a SCORE == 1 on SCALE1.
 For example:

BUILDING 	CATEGORY	SCALE		SCORE		COUNT
20		1		SCALE1	1		458
20		1		SCALE1	2		657
20		2		SCALE1	1		20
20		101		SCALE1	1		54
20		109		SCALE1	4		333

repeat with each SCALE

repeat for each BUILDING

The individual cases must be weighted using WTSKUL.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greetings,
Carsten Baumann

303.839.9422 x21