st: panel data time series models

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: panel data time series models
Date   Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:34:27 -0500

It is common for physiologists to record neuron electrical activity over time (perhaps under experimental conditions) and perform time series analysis on these data, regardless of which animal the neuron was recorded from. I would think that such an analysis mistakes the experimental unit as the neuron when it should be the animal. Stata implements panel data time series models, though I have little experience with them. My feeling is that the panel should be the animal, and the neuronal recordings should be within-panel observations. For those economists out there on the list, can you point to literature that describes the consequences of ignoring the panel, or collapsing over panel, on parameter estimates and or Type I/II error rates? Literature that uses Stata would be the best.

Cheers,

David Airey, Ph.D.

*
* For searches and help try: