st: matched data

From   "Theodoropoulos, N." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: matched data
Date   Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:21:46 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I have a matched employer-employee dataset. Each firm is recognised by a unique identifier, and in each firm I have up to 25 employees. From the existing data I want to generate some new variables which capture only firms that employ a positive proportion of old and/or young workers. In other words I want to generate variables by selecting only the firms with some sampled old and/or young employees.
Also, I have the variables that capture the proportion of old and young workers.
Is there a quick way of doing this instead of going through the firms one by one.

Any hints will be highly appreciated,