Re: st: Beta values in QREG

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Beta values in QREG
Date   Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:04:47 +0200

I suspect that the real problem would more often be the standard
deviation. By standardizing a variable you change the unit of that
variable to have a standard deviation of 1. If the shape of the
distribution makes you doubt the usefulness of the mean as a measure
of central tendency, then I would be doubly worried about the standard
deviation as a measure variability.

More generally there is a "clash of logics" between standardizing
(where you use the moments) and quantile regression (where you use the
percentiles).

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB