Re: st: Re: Histogram % sign

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Histogram % sign
Date   Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:27:51 +0100

Hmm. If your y axis variable had units units kg, would you put kg on each label?

On 11 Jun 2013, at 10:00, Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie> wrote:

On 2013 Meith 11, at 08:04, Nick Cox wrote:

Even for groups of readers under age 7 or senior executives, should
not be mentioning percent, percentage or % once somewhere be enough?
Nick

No. I don't like the idea that a person reads a number – 42, for exa mple – but has to have read text somewhere else that tells him the u nits. I am in favour of currency symbols, degree symbols and, yes, p ercentages.

I suggest that the space that needs to be saved is in the use of too many value labels on axes.

De gustibus, et pariter de formis, semper disputandum.

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences