Re: st: Re: Histogram % sign

From   Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie>
To   "<statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Histogram % sign
Date   Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:00:45 +0000

On 2013 Meith 11, at 08:04, Nick Cox wrote:

> Even for groups of readers under age 7 or senior executives, should
> not be mentioning percent, percentage or % once somewhere be enough?
> Nick

No. I don't like the idea that a person reads a number – 42, for example – but has to have read text somewhere else that tells him the units. I am in favour of currency symbols, degree symbols and, yes, percentages.

I suggest that the space that needs to be saved is in the use of too many value labels on axes.

De gustibus, et pariter de formis, semper disputandum.

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences